Here's a problem that needs to be solved or an idea for a social change app ...

An app that alows you to rate the social/environmental impact of neighborhood businesses.

An app that allows you to review local businesses (and see other people's reviews) in terms of the positive or negative impact they have on your immediate community. In my neighborhood for instance, we have a cafe that sells free trade coffee, provides coffee grounds and egg shells for neighborhood gardeners, and offers a comfortable (and free!) space for community meetings. On the other hand, we have a liquor store that does nothing to discourage drug dealers from selling to its customers, sells hundreds of packaged snacks that lead to litter-strewn streets, and is known to have several guns at the ready in the event of robbery. I'd like to see a way for neighbors to let these business owners know what we think of them and the positive or negative impact they have on our lives.

61 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JeniJeni shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eliza Wee (ewee)Eliza Wee (ewee) commented  · 

As a tie-in to this idea, based on an idea from @lunamania:

I'd also like to possibly work in an overlay (or series of overlays) that would allow different layers of info to be displayed. Perhaps using the google map api or like the augmented reality in the NYC subway finder app (http://www.acrossair.com/apps_newyorknearestsubway.htm)--

For example: wage/hour, occupational safety, state/federal workplace enforcement data. And the businesses with current/past investigations would be highlighted, and there could be a red-yellow-green heat map rating businesses.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

I think this would be fun; I often find myself wondering if the inflated prices at restaurants ever coincide with how their source their products. Am I paying more for organic/sustainable sourced products, or just because I happen to live in SF?

Feedback and Knowledge Base