Here's a problem that needs to be solved or an idea for a social change app ...

Help Save Monterrey, Mexico (If Monterrey falls, Mexico falls)

The highly educated, upper-income, modern city of Monterrey, MX is under siege. The city is full of smart, educated young people that are trying to modernize and move Mexico into the future. However, in just 4 years time the narcotics cartels have turned the city into a battle zone. People are scared to leave their homes after dark and the cartels are attempting to subvert and control the government. The primary tools the cartels use are fear and violence through a system of corrupt police, corrupt taxi drivers, and random road blocks and kidnappings.
The young people of Monterrey are technically savvy people that use Twitter and smart phones. They need tools to help fight for their city and we MUST help them before it is too late. I propose a web application with a smartphone component that has the following features to help save Monterrey:

WEB APP & MOBILE FEATURES
------------------------------------------
1. Web app/Mobile app that is ANONYMOUS and allows regular citizens to report narco/cartel activities by geo-location.
2. The app will allow categories of activities to report: corrupt police, corrupt taxi drivers, road blocks, etc. that can be selected via the web app and mobile app and posted with geo-location info fro the phone.
3. The app should also allow the citizen user to upload pictures with their anonymous cartel activity report.
4. The app should always keep the safety of the citizen submitter safe to prevent coerced identify revealing by cartel members.
5. The web app and mobile app should take all these reports and produce a Google/Bing maps mashup with activity hotspots that can be used to help warn Monterrey citizens as well as the federal army (the only trusted law enforcement in MX now) about activity areas.
6. The web app should have the ability to send alerts to those using the mobile app and secure email alerts to those choosing this option.
7. The app should produce useful reports for the users and citizens to help them locate, lock down, and fight back the spread of narco cartel violence in Monterrey.
8. The web app should be hosted and secured as tightly as possible once created to prevent the ability of the cartels from hacking it and using any information against the users.

By putting the power of information in the hands of young citizens, Monterrey can begin to fight back against the cartels using technology. This idea literally could turn the tide against the cartels and save a city that is full of the future of Mexico. Everything can be done using current Web technologies that are open source and free.

For more information about the URGENCY of the situation in Monterrey, MX please see this article:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/01/uk-mexico-drugs-monterrey-idUSLNE75004G20110601

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JBJB shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JBJB commented  · 

Per the app description above, I would recommend the web app use google or Bing maps APIs for the map component. The front end should utilize common Ajax/css/html for the UI/UX. The backend should make use of a common mysql/postgres databases. Php or ruby could be the server side code. The entire project could be platformed on Heroku as an example. The mobile app that talks to the web/server side app will have to be written in native apple or Android dev platforms, which can be obtained for free. There may also be an option to build the mobile apps using an Adobe tool for porting.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Me gusta mucho tu idea, yo tambien soy de monterrey, y me gustaria ver como se desarrollaria tu idea porque esto puede ayudar a combatir el crimen organizado con ayuda de la tecnologia

• JBJB commented  · 

This is an incredible idea to help powerless citizens using technology! This should be a top pick for the most talented coders at the conference.

Feedback and Knowledge Base